US President Donald Trump’s pivot toward Russia amid its war in Ukraine has collided with the stance of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s...
Vous n'êtes pas connecté
By Nicoletta Ionta (EurActiv) -- Italian opposition parties have challenged Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s alleged €1.5 billion security deal with Elon Musk’s SpaceX, demanding clarification in parliament. The parties are voicing concerns over a reported five-year contract between the government and Elon Musk's SpaceX, aimed at creating a secure telecommunications system for government use. Initial reports by Bloomberg on Sunday suggested the Italian government is in talks with SpaceX, with the project already receiving approval from Italy's Intelligence Services and the Defence Ministry. Touted as the largest project of its kind in Europe, the reported plan is for SpaceX to provide secure internet via its Starlink system for Italian government operations, communication services for the military in the Mediterranean, and direct-to-cell satellite services for emergencies like terrorist attacks or natural disasters. In a statement on Monday, the Italian government denied that any contracts or agreements had been signed with SpaceX. The statement did not clarify whether the government was engaged in ongoing negotiations with SpaceX over such a deal. Instead, the government said that the talks are “part of the normal consultations that State institutions have with companies.” Musk also did not confirm the reports, but stated on X that he is ready to “provide Italy with the most secure and advanced connectivity!” The news shook the opposition ranks, which united in calling out the alleged deal and demanding clarification from Meloni. "The statement does not clarify whether talks are ongoing with Starlink," said members of the centre-left Democratic Party (S&D) in a joint statement. Democratic Party leader Elly Schlein deemed the denial "completely insufficient" and called on Meloni to provide clarification from the government in Parliament. “Italy is not selling out,” she added. Former Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, head of the opposition Five Star Movement (The Left), accused the government of handing national security to Musk for “the modest sum of €1.5 billion in public funds.” “Can all of this be decided based on personal ties between our Prime Minister and one of the aspiring 'masters of the world'?" Conte said. "Nobody has abolished Parliament," former liberal Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said. "The government cannot give one and a half billion to a private entity without a tender or any public transparency." The news came shortly after Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni's unexpected visit to Mar-a-Lago, US President-elect Donald Trump's residence, on Sunday. The Italian government however, clarified that the matter of SpaceX was not discussed during the visit, describing such claims as "simply ridiculous”.
US President Donald Trump’s pivot toward Russia amid its war in Ukraine has collided with the stance of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s...
Following the meeting of the so-called “Coalition of the Resolute” in Paris on March 27, Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called for the...
Following the meeting of the so-called “Coalition of the Resolute” in Paris on March 27, Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called for the...
The Italian government believes troops should be sent to Ukraine only to police a future ceasefire if they are deployed under the UN banner. This...
The Italian government believes troops should be sent to Ukraine only to police a future ceasefire if they are deployed under the UN banner. This...
INCUMBENT Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal is calling on the UNC's lawyers to do their research on changing the law that gives a prime minister...
ROME (Reuters) -Negotiations on a potential contract between Elon Musk's satellite internet operator Starlink and the Italian government have stalled,...
Israel's cabinet passed a vote of no confidence on Sunday in the attorney general, the justice minister said, moving against a vocal critic of Prime...
Israel's cabinet passed a vote of no confidence on Sunday in the attorney general, the justice minister said, moving against a vocal critic of Prime...
PRIME Minister Stuart Young says he is satisfied with the explanation given by Housing Minister Adrian Leonce about a business link he had with a...