X

Vous n'êtes pas connecté

Rubriques :

Maroc Maroc - NEWSDAY.CO.TT - A la Une - 22/Jan 19:46

250 more ex-Caroni workers get land leases

THE government continued its efforts to regularise land tenure and bring closure to long-standing matters affecting former workers and their families of the now-defunct Caroni (1975) Ltd, which was shut down in 2003. Land and Legal Affairs Minister Saddam Hosein helped distribute leases to 250 recipients in Couva on January 21. Hosein said the distribution marked the third such exercise in nine months under the Kamla Persad-Bissessar-led administration since it was elected in April last year. Previous distributions were held in August at the Southern Academy for the Performing Arts in San Fernando, where 200 recipients benefitted, and in October in Port of Spain, where 100 recipients received leases. Hosein said the exercise fulfilled promises made by the Prime Minister during last year's general election campaign. He said it was a promise made and kept. "We are close to nearing over 600 leases in nine months in office, something that took over 22 years. But there is still a lot more work to be done. Based on the numbers, we have about 3,000 more residential leases to distribute and about 1751 agricultural plots to distribute." He noted that remedial works still have to be completed on the land. Hosein spoke at a Caroni lease distribution ceremony held at the Dennis P Ramdhan Complex, Sonny Ladoo Trace, McBean Village, Couva, on January 21. He later echoed those sentiments at a press conference held the same day at the UNC Headquarters, which was streamed live on social media. Providing a historical perspective, Hosein said the company's closure occurred under a PNM administration. He recalled that the former workers later took the matter to court after the state failed to honour their voluntary separation packages. The court had ruled that workers were entitled to receive their leases. He added that the then government appealed the ruling, but the appeal was dropped by Persad-Bissessar when she was elected to office. Hosein said the government had agreed to a $130 million compensation package for former private sugarcane farmers as a final settlement related to the 2007 transition payment after the closure of the sugar industry. Hosein said the funds, based on a Cabinet decision, were to be paid in three tranches: $27 million, $75 million, and $28 million. He said the first tranche was paid to former sugar cane farmers in July 2015 under the People's Partnership administration. Based on official records, Hosein said the $75 million and $28 million tranches remain outstanding. He further stated that the European Union had paid the then PNM government 8 million euros ( $63.55 million) to compensate workers, but said the funds were not used for that purpose. He made several allegations against the PNM. At the press conference, Hosein described the action as unlawful and unethical. "The good news in all of this is that when the claim came up for hearings, after successful negotiations, the claim was settled and the cane farmers would get what is due to them." Couva South MP Barry Padarath, who is also Minister of Public Utilities, also addressed the gathering. "This has been a legacy matter that has been left to languish for several years under a former administration that did not have the foresight, nor the compassion, to understand the value of the land and belonging means to the people of TT," Padarath said. Padarath praised Persad-Bissessar for her leadership. He also congratulated Hosein for what he described as having the fortitude, strength, and leadership to complete the distribution in a short period. Among the recipients was 75-year-old Allan Manichand, who said he worked for 35 years as a mechanic. The father of three, who has Parkinson's disease, said the land would be passed on to his relatives. Another recipient, 69-year-old Roshad Ali, said he was happy to receive what was due to him finally. Ali, who worked as a labourer, said he had not yet decided what he intended to do with the land. The post 250 more ex-Caroni workers get land leases appeared first on Trinidad and Tobago Newsday.

Articles similaires

Elon Musk's ex-lawyer frontrunner to take seat in Congress as Republican

rawstory.com - 12/Feb 19:31

WASHINGTON — In the race to replace Rep. Michael McCaul in Congress, Republicans in Texas and Washington are consolidating behind prominent GOP...

Sorry! Image not available at this time

Trinidad gets licences from United States for oil and gas activities in Venezuela

kaieteurnewsonline.com - 15/Feb 04:39

CMC – The Trinidad and Tobago government Friday said that it has been issued with two United States General Licences, which provides “a clear and...

Sorry! Image not available at this time

Trinidad gets licences from United States for oil and gas activities in Venezuela

kaieteurnewsonline.com - 15/Feb 04:39

CMC – The Trinidad and Tobago government Friday said that it has been issued with two United States General Licences, which provides “a clear and...

Ranchi tribal land dispute case: Jharkhand high court halts demolition drive

hindustantimes.com - 13/Feb 16:47

“The administration started the action after landowner Mahadeo Oraon had filed a contempt petition stating that the administration was not restoring...

Sorry! Image not available at this time

Prime Minister Kamla Persad‑Bissessar to address Caribbean Energy Week (CEW) 2026

caribbeannewsglobal.com - 05/Feb 00:31

Prime Minister Kamla Persad‑Bissessar will join top energy leaders at Caribbean Energy Week as Trinidad & Tobago cements its role as a critical hub...

Sorry! Image not available at this time

Prime Minister Kamla Persad‑Bissessar to address Caribbean Energy Week (CEW) 2026

caribbeannewsglobal.com - 05/Feb 00:31

Prime Minister Kamla Persad‑Bissessar will join top energy leaders at Caribbean Energy Week as Trinidad & Tobago cements its role as a critical hub...

'Please get me out of here': Heartbreaking kids' messages come out of ICE center

rawstory.com - 09/Feb 16:22

Fourteen-year-old Ariana Velasquez had been held at the immigrant detention center in Dilley, Texas, with her mother for some 45 days when I managed...

Despite Russian attacks, Kyiv manages power outages as Ukraine boosts energy recovery – Shmyhal

eng.uatv.ua - 15/Feb 11:22

Despite the difficult situation caused by low temperatures and the aftermath of Russian strikes, Kyiv managed to adhere to all electricity outage...

Former APC Chieftain writes Trump, alleges plot to rig 2027 polls

veracity.com.ng - 09/Feb 08:06

Trump and Timi Frank A former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress, Comrade Timi Frank, has petitioned the United...

Sorry! Image not available at this time

Spin Cycle: Don Lemon ‘Ain’t Worried’ And DOJ Takes The Heat On ICE

dailywire.com - 02/Feb 15:46

While Democrats move to potentially trigger yet another government shutdown over the Trump’s administration insistence in allowing Immigration...

Les derniers communiqués

  • Aucun élément